Monday, February 3, 2014

Where Do Players Come From? (Part 1)

I've been doing some research on the origin of players in our league that I would like to share.  My main purpose in doing this is to evaluate the various draft rounds and draft picks in the first round to get a better idea of what I'm giving up when I sign a Type A free agent.

This first post is just for fun though as I look at what state and country players in our MLB universe have come from.  I was mainly just curious if it was completely random or not.

The chart below shows the number of players from each state/country who have appeared on an MLB roster in our league along with the number of players who meet a minimum set of qualifications I came up with.  Those qualifications are 600 at bats for position players and either 200 innings or 40 games for pitchers.  This is just to eliminate the players who never really contributed anything at all to their MLB team.

The results show that our league has been dominated by Dominican players.  I was a little surprised to see it tilt that heavily.  It also appears I should be sending more of my scouts to the upper midwest.


Over the next few weeks I will try to get a few more posts ready looking at players by draft position and then international signings.  Hopefully it will be interesting to some of you and I would love to hear your feedback, ideas and theories from the data I present.

No comments: