Won/Loss (place in division) & Playoffs: 62-100, missed playoffs
Offense: 643 runs (16th)
Pitching: 4.60 ERA (11th)
FA Departures: LR Luis Perez; pro hitter Terry Hefner, who appears to have ended his HOF career; ditto Derrin Davenport; LR Dennis Forest
FA Signees: OF Valerio Izquierdo
Season 21 OutlookSince we have a rookie owner (welcome, sprouthit) here, taking over a team that has been heading downhill for awhile, in a division that produced 3 playoff teams last year, we'll take it very easy on the criticism...maybe even proffer a couple helpful tips.
Obviously it's a pretty thin ML roster. Some ML players there, but not enough and no stars.
* Darrell Gates is a decent player, but I would not re-sign him. When you're rebuilding you want to get younger and cheaper. He'll probably be a Type B free agent - gets you a supplemental draft pick next year.
* I think signing Izquierdo was a mistake - for $4.2MM you could've picked up a much better player late in FA. Small mistake, though...just signed for 1 year.
* You need to fill out your minors with more players.
* Julio Johnson is a pretty solid SS - I'd wait until the trade deadline and then see if I could get something for him.
* Couple of guys in AAA who might help this year - LF Cheng and SS Montanez. To get a 4th min-salary year out of them, wait until 20 minor league days have passed and then promote them.
* I know you missed budgeting this year, but in the future, up your prospect budget to $20MM so you can bid on an international free agent or 2 to start supplementing your amateur draft.
* Ask for help when you're not sure about something!